In the western world, we are no strangers to stress.
Unfortunately stress dominates many of us on a daily basis. It seems stress in society is only increasing. So what is stress and how can we manage it?
Stress manifests itself in many forms, including social, psychological, biological and physical. Our focus on the word stress in this article generally involves our coping ability on a daily basis.
When stressed, our coping ability is not equal to the situations or problems we face. What we could normally handle becomes intolerable or unbearable. What does this result in?
- Neck, back and general muscle pain
- Increased temper or frustration
- Digestive complaints including indigestion, reflux, IBS etc.
- Weight gain/loss
- Poor eating/drinking habits
Honestly the list goes on. When a client says they are stressed, it’s interesting to see how it manifests for them. At the heart of many acupuncture treatments here in Brisbane, stress is common complaint.
So how do you go about dealing with stress?
- STOP. Just stop for one moment, take 5, 10 even 30 minutes out of your life on a daily basis and ask yourself what is my intention and what is my outcome? All too often we begin to lose our ability to focus when we are stressed and end up in a frantic rush, or so it seems.
- You are not your job! Yes I’m quoting fight club. There is more to life than your job. If you disagree then that’s ok – Start to implement regular 5-10min breaks to stop and revive. Look at alternate work if you aren’t happy. Move to a different area. There are many strategies to alleviate stress in your career.
- Your diet. The majority of people’s food and drink choices turn south when they are stressed. Take away, coffee, alcohol, soft drinks and sugary snacks creep on to the menu. These critters give you a ‘high’ for a short period of time, but ultimately poor eating choices will leave you dehydrated, exhausted and vitamin depleted.
- Exercise. You must incorporate a routine. I’m not going to quote the plethora of studies out there on the benefits of exercise. Move it or lose it.
So now you have the basics, how can we help? For starters, an Acupuncture treatment is a fantastic way to relax and regather your thoughts. Studies are ongoing to provide an insight into the mechanisms behind Acupuncture and the reduction of symptoms associated with stress.
We also help you create a strategy for dealing with stress on a daily basis. So often clients feel that they are helpless or ‘stuck’ in certain situations. We help you take your power back to create positive change in your life. This will be geared toward the individual, from simple meditations/affirmations, to shifts in thought patterns/habits.