A common condition that presents in our Brisbane Acupuncture clinic is shoulder pain.
Generally shoulder pain is caused by inflammation (bursitis), physical injury or
arthritis. In fact it is easy for practitioners to mistake bursitis for arthritis, especially if
the condition in chronic.
Traditional Chinese Medicine theory is based on a flow of energy called ‘qi’ of which
the body consists in different forms and layers. Understanding how ‘qi’ flows through
the body allows us to treat shoulder pain according to illness (signs & symptoms),
lifestyle and constitution.
Clinically we’ve found is that Acupuncture is particularly effective in treating pain of
the shoulder. Often the severity of shoulder pain is measurable by the limited range
of motion when clients move their shoulders. It’s a great way for us to measure the
efficacy of our treatments after a typical session. Interestingly, what western
research into pain relief from Acupuncture is that stimulation causes various
biochemical and physiological processes in the body.
Essentially it is thought that Acupuncture stimulates sensory receptors and nerves
that transmit impulses into the pituitary gland and hypothalamus sections of our
brain. As a result the neurotransmitters Serotonin and Endorphin are released,
blocking the messages of pain sent from the brain. Interestingly we’ve found that not
only is Acupuncture provide pain relief, over several treatments it’s been effective in
reducing pain to nil.
If you suffer from the following signs and symptoms then consider making an
appointment with us today:
- Pain in and around the entire shoulder
- Radiating pain towards the elbow or wrist
- Pain worse when lying on the affected shoulder
- Pain worse when extending or moving your arm above shoulder height
- Painful arc of movement – shoulder pain felt between 60 – 90° of arm moving up and outwards
- Constant dull pain regardless of arm position
- Pain with everyday activities such washing hair, brushing your teeth, or reaching for high items
Benefits of Acupuncture for shoulder pain:
- Drug free pain relief
- Prevention of illness, injury and inflammation
- Holistic treatment of mind and body
- Targeting the symptoms of pain as well as the root cause
For stubborn cases of shoulder pain we will begin to look at underlying emotional factors:
- What shoulder is affected and what this means emotionally
- Underlying resentment
- Carrying life’s burdens on your shoulders (exploring reasons and solutions)
- Linking fluid build-up and retention with emotion
If you’ve identified any of the pain signs and symptoms or other aspects of this article
then don’t hesitate to book in a treatment with me by clicking here. Alternately you
can call us on 0406 688 832 to discuss your requirements.